Tuesday 15 February 2011

Valentines Day and the Residual Sugar in Champagne

I really tried to be good.... and actually think I did a not too bad job.  The only times I went slightly off piste were:
1. when I was taken out for lunch.  First time having a restaurant meal while on SCD.  Ventured to Gourmet Burger Kitchen ... they serve the burger with extra salad instead of the bun, and the burger itself is really thick and juicy.  So I had it with bacon and avocado, hold the mayo, hold the bun.  It comes with a really tasty coleslaw with a vinaigrette instead of mayo ... but it's really sweet so I bet it is steeped in sugar.  I skipped the chips.  They do have beans - but they're in a thick barbecue sauce which I assumed to be sugar-loaded, so I skipped them too.
2. A glass of champagne with dinner.

I know that Tim says that a glass or two of red wine doesn't do him any harm, and it doesn't seem to do me any harm either ... but I didn't think too badly of a glass of champagne substitute last night - afterall it doesn't taste sweet.

Wrong! Weigh in this morning shows I'm up again, just nudged over my post-going-wild-day ... so starting day 3 post-GWD I haven't lost any of it.

So I blame sugary vinaigrette dressing and champagne - even in small quantities.  Couldn't find the residual sugar level for the wine I had specifically (Jacobs Creek Sparkling Chardonnay Pinot Noir) but found levels for other similar South Australian sparklings - and it's about 18g/L ... waaaaaaay more than the 1.4 recommended in the book.

Whilst I was looking ... Here's what the websites said about my wine .... Mid straw green colour with a fine gas bead and persistent mousse. Bouquet gives traditional yeasty characters as the refreshing lemon citrus and toasted cashew nut aromas of Chardonnay are in harmony with the red currant characters of Pinot Noir. Palate comes alive and clean through elegant fruit flavours, enhanced by creamy yeast nuances, providing depth and flavour. Generous citrus fruit flavours are enhanced with creamy nutty yeast characters achieving richness and fine structure. The wine finishes soft, crisp and clean.


Ha! I missed the toasted cashew nuts ... and the persistent mousse.

No comments:

Post a Comment