Sunday 6 March 2011

Going Wild Day - All Mixed Up

I think this weekend goes to show that real life often gets in the way of best made plans and intentions .... and that thinking quick on your feet and be flexible and adapting to change is required.

Plan: GWD today (Sunday) primarily switched due to good friend flying in from Chicago - haven't seen him in ages and planned a big blow out catch up - most likely to include big Sunday Roast lunch, pudding and whatever I felt like drinking ... plus probably a couple of bags of crisps during pre-lunch drinks.

Actual: started Saturday with a high protein b/fast (sausages and eggs rather than usual lentils/eggs/spinach as a treat).  Decided that one cup of coffee (a flat white) couldn't hurt too much, and would see me through the Saturday happy to stick to the straight and narrow all day.

My little cheat 
this photo from last week, 
but I didn't have the sugar 
or the little brownie that goes with it.

Lunch - decided on thai/chinese.  After much much deliberation with the waitress, settled on stir fried king prawns with holly basil and chilli.  Much debate pre-ordering to get something with just meat and veg with minimal sauce ... tried phrases "no sugar", "no sweet", "no sauce" and "dry" with waitress.  I thought she had understood.  She really didn't understand "no noodles/no rice" and had to re-check that multiple (and I mean probably 5 times) that I really didn't want noodles and I really didn't want rice. That should have been a warning.
Result: Prawns and veg arrive in a bowl swimming in a thick soupy sauce.  It was tasty, but really sweet. So I fished out my prawns, drained them as much as possible on the side plate - and stayed positive that I wasn't damaging my day too much.

Mid-afternoon .... message from mate, recently landed at Heathrow and now tucked away in his hotel, that he had made reservations at Constancia near Tower Bridge for Sunday night.  Googled it to find out it's a bloody Argentinian Steak Restaurant - full of meat, and red wine, and simple salads.  The ONLY cheat/going wild thing about it was that I could maybe order fries on the side.  Gutted! It's not a treat day to go out to dinner and have someone else serve me what I've been cooking for myself 5 nights a week!

30 minutes later: toss in the towel - decide to make Saturday Going Wild Day afterall - If I'm eating steak and salad Sunday night instead of a big nosh up roast lunch at the pub, then Sunday may as well be routine day (be it a particularly posh one).

So .... I get stuck in:

Grapefruit Juice and Vodka
(cos I'm not about to
drink it straight -
the grapefruit I mean)
Gin and Juice
(cos I had to find something
else to try with the juice
This is an experiment afterall)
Tequila Shot - with
plenty of lemon.
I'm hoping the citrus
blend of G/fruit and lemon works

My drinking partner suggests that I only had the Gin and Juice in order to listen to my favourite version of the Snoop D-O-double-G song:



He might be right!

....And so we continued:

Jelly beans - to counter the
bitterness
fish and chips and chicken
with tomato sauce and
a large pickle
A glass of sweet fruity
rose
same as last week
and again
and finished off with
a probiotic
(cos I'm being healthylike)
So all in all, it turned out to be a pretty good Going Wild Day.

I did air squats before each meal (even the two when I didn't know I really was on Going Wild Day... I'd decided to start by coincidence, or is it fate?). Yes, I was there in the toilets of the restaurant holding up the queue bobbing up and down.

I drank the grapefruit juice before the blow out.

And in total - my weigh in this morning shows I've put on 600gm.  That's half compared to the last 2 weeks.  Is it down to the squats, the juice or the half day instead of full day? Who knows? I introduced too many variables in one session in order to be scientific about it.  Was fun though.




4 comments:

  1. All GWD's should be that fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I stumbled upon in via the 4HBtalk. Today is my Cheat Day, and after a breakfast of eggs and turkey bacon, I have eaten 2 donuts. They didn't taste as good as I thought they would and now I have a sugar headache. Is that even possible?? Will skip lunch and go to happy hour with a friend where I can indulge in all kinds of tasty food. I've been doing the SCD since Jan 31 and am down 11 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dale - it was fun. And totally flabbergasted today after Argentinian Steak blowout (ate til it felt I was going to burst ... dodged the garlic fries but couldn't stop my fork dipping into the melted cheese bowl) I've somehow managed to drop another 100gm overnight. #winning :D

    Michelle - great losses there! I've found a lot of my Going Wild treats just aren't hitting the spot anymore ... maybe that's why I'm hitting the bottle instead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. STORM, you are the best inspiration for a slow carber...awesome results and you're having fun while doing it. It's nice to see someone with a balanced approach, having success without being a total anal bore about it. Love the humor in your posts, wish you were still active.

    ReplyDelete